What a PERFECT weekend! We left Birmingham Friday afternoon, met up with Linn's mom, and drove to Tallahassee where sweet Ms. Patsy got us a hotel. We headed out early Saturday morning for Orlando, stopping at some random FL WELCOME center for some delicious fruit! We made it to our hotel in time to check in and head to the EXPO where we got some goodies and picked up our race packet.
I was a little mopey to find out that I was in the very LAST corral to start (out of A-H...I got put in H. BOOOOOO). But when we got back to the hotel, pizza and a visit from Linn's sweet friends Crystal and Brian Moore cheered me up!
Sunday morning we awoke at 3AM, tried on our tu-tu, decided against them though they were so cute!, boarded the bus at 345AM and got to the race sight at 4! We checked our bags, and walked what seemed like a MILE to the start corrals, where we said our goodbyes and separated (Linn was: B, Ms. Patsy: D, and Melanie: E...and me...H. BOOOO!) Okay, you get the point.
At the start of the race at 545AM there was fireworks and music! Each corral started about 5 minutes apart...to more music and fireworks! Disney knows how to put on a show!
After anxiously awaiting my start, I finally got to begin the race at 627AM. It was so fun! There were fun displays about every 1/4mile with music and characters!! It felt like the first 6 miles flew by! Around mile 7 my feet began to hurt a bit. By mile 10, my thighs were getting sore. It was then, out of 21,000 people, I spotted Andi Campbell Sims!!! A sweet friend I hadn't seen in a few years whom I had only found out was running two days prior. Thanks to facebook, I knew what she'd be wearing and out of God's good grace, I found her! We ran the last 3.1 miles together, just chatting away!!! WOW!
If that wasn't enough, I rounded the bend after mile 13 only to spot my dear friend Karen Kleinschmidt!! We ran together for a few minutes and then I tried my best to finish strong and sprinted to the finish line where I checked my watch and pumped my fists high! I DID IT!!!!!! I RAN 13.1 MILES!!!!
Even though I dashed and dodged a TON of people in a somewhat frustrating and crowded race course...and even though I stopped quickly to use the port-o-let...oh yes....and even though I stopped for a quick picture with Andi....I STILL FINISHED IN MY DESIRED TIME!
2 hrs, 36 min, 40 seconds!!! WHOO HOOO!
Afterwards, we showered, changed, and headed to EPCOT ...why not? Ha. We were so wiped out but it was relaxing and nice. Then we drove to my parents house in Merritt Island for dinner and spent the night. We headed home Monday and had a great time recounting the fun weekend, taking turns in the drivers seat, and enjoying time together before Melanie gets married this month and Linn gets married in June. WHEW!
Here's a recap of a sweet, blessed and momentous weekend! The Lord blessed me with no anxiety, a great race, and a very special weekend. Thanks for praying, friends! I FELT IT!
Heading to the Expo!
Post-race VICTORY!
2 comments:
Great post, K! So proud of you! LOVE how God provided the sweet gift of running with Andi the last 3 miles--so like Him!!
Congrats little lady! 13.1, check! You did it.
Post a Comment