Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Running the race...

Have you ever committed to something that, at the time, sounded super great...only to be hit with a dose of reality- moments, days, even weeks later- as to the nature of what was truly involved?
I did that. Recently.
In the midst of last summers life change (you are welcome to scroll back), I got a whim to do something physically challenging. Something I could look back and say I truly worked to accomplish. Something that would help keep my body strong, in light of an unknown future. Something I had on a distant bucket list.
I signed up for a race.

I didn't just sign up for any race. I signed up for the the most fitting race I could find. THE DISNEY PRINCESS HALF-MARATHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I know. Crazy people run marathons. That's why I chose a half. Because I'm only half crazy ;)

It's been truly wonderful to see how the Lord is already using the decision in my spiritual life. I hoped that the discipline in training for something physical would parallel the disciplines of living the Spiritual life as a follower of Christ. You see, both are incredibly difficult. But both are incredibly rewarding. It's not a fair parallel, though, because the riches of following Christ are immeasurable and eternal, whereas running 13.1 miles on February 26th at 5:45 in the morning is a single and measurable event. But humor me as I share how incredible is this God!

My roommate and I laughed and joked as we realized we had both picked "Belle" as our princess during race registration. I was so giddy to think of how much fun it would be to run this race with my sweet roommate, her mom and her sister. We even get to dress up! Ha! The reality came when we printed out the training schedule and realized we would begin only a week later. We are now 4.5 weeks from race day and each long run I do from now on will be the farthest I have ever run in my life. Each week will be a new accomplishment! I'll admit, it's harder to run some days than others. I struggle with fatigue from my medication and have to be strategic in planning my runs. I have to make time to run, sometimes forgoing other fun things. I have to be mindful of my nutrition and hydration, especially the day before the long run. Mostly, I have to have the right things when I run ...newer shoes for long runs, iPod, temperate clothes, gummies, etc. Lastly, I have to remind myself of the commitment I have made each time I don't feel like running (to my roommate, to myself, and plus, this race is expensive!!!). Each of these things can be beautifully paralleled with my faith in Christ and my life as His child.

It's harder to follow Christ some days than others (in light of the devastating tornadoes that hit our city, many around me are freshly living this reality). Not everything is bunnies and butterflies. Life is unpredictable and disappointing. People are sinful and relationships are messy. We live in a fallen world among a fallen creation. I struggle with sin and have to fight for purity and truth. I have to make time to spend with Christ, in scripture, so as to be filled with His Spirit through His Word to counteract that things our society feeds us. I have to be mindful of what my eyes and ears are exposed to, weighing things against the Truth found in the Bible, and drinking deeply of God's living water that quenches my deepest thirst. I have to run the race with endurance, making sure I am clothed with the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20!). And lastly, I have to preach the gospel to myself daily, so that I remember the grace of God and His abundant mercy in Christ's death on the cross on my behalf: That I am saved from His wrath toward my sin because Jesus took that punishment on Himself on the cross. That I am reconciled to God because of Jesus, not because of anything I do. I am chosen and deeply loved. I am a co-heir with Christ. And by His amazing grace, I can come to Him freely, as His child. I can come before the Holy, Righteous King and Creator of the Universe. Me! And I'll get Him for eternity!

You can believe I will have this scripture verses written on my hand during the race (Thanks for the great idea Linn!!):

Hebrews 12: 1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Psalm 119:32
I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart!

1Corinthians 9: 23-27
I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Scripture is so encouraging and life-giving. We run this race with Christ and sometimes we run as reluctant athletes (my newest phrase when I have to climb a hill, right Ashley??)...and sometimes we fall and get scars (a have a beautiful one on my knee at the moment)...but we get back up and keep running because this race is worth our blood, sweat and tears. And Jesus went before us with HIS blood, sweat and tears, to secure our victory; our enduring, imperishable prize. We get Him.

1 comment:

Ashley Matteo said...

beautiful comparison! reluctant or not you are doing great and im super impressed and excited for you. push yourself and have fun even during the hard part. wish i could be down there to cheer you on.