Tuesday, December 2, 2008

All things new


Last Sunday I had the honor and privilege of attending Mr. James Isaiah Drake's 1st Birthday party. I've been incredibly blessed to be a close part (surrogate Aunt) of his little life and love to recount the story of the day I met his mom, my sweet friend Heidi, and signed the lease to live with her that same day, and was in her wedding the following year. The Lord works with such beautiful mystery.

Last week, Isaiah took his first steps. He's not even my child, but still, this event seemed like such a milestone to celebrate. It gave me such joy to watch the little guy repeat his first steps via digital camera (don't ask about the video camera...) and then see him keep struggling to work at it in front of me.

As I recounted my time with Isaiah this week, watching him learn to walk, witnessing him devour his first birthday cake, listening to him say new words and repeat new actions (...touchdown!...for all you football fans...it's incredibly cute), I began realize that we celebrate so many little things in a baby's life, because each day is a new day for him. Each day he is a sponge, ready to soak up something he's never encountered before. It's cute to watch him try to figure things out. It's almost funny when he tries something, can't do it immediately, gets mad, starts crying, and sits down. He's learned to be cautious (I'm blaming the hardwood floors!), and wants to hold both your hands instead of just one. He gets frustrated if you only give him one. Pretty quickly though, he's consumed by the task. He'd rather walk than fuss, and he gets over not having more support.

It seems so natural to be drawn to a child. I could sit and watch him all day (don't get any ideas Heidi :). So why, when we grow up, do we forget that each of our days are STILL new.

You and I have never lived this day before. I'm sure, in a good or bad way, you and I have learned something new today.

Don't you think God our Father, our very Creator, also watches in expectant delight, as we walk through our day?

Do we approach each day like a sponge? Do we pour through the pages of Scripture with the same diligence as Isaiah had examining all the wrapping paper and toys (he even tried to eat the paper)? Or do we, in our humanness, let go of the Divine hand, forgetting from where our Help comes?

So often, I find myself in Isaiah's shoes. I can't do it. I'm frustrated, I'm mad, I just find myself crying as I sit down.

Lord, thank You for describing Yourself to us as a Father who has compassion on His children. Thank You for Your love, patience, and even the discipline that comes because of such love. Forgive me for getting so bogged down in my daily grind, thinking and expecting each day to just be the same routine. Open my eyes to what You are doing in the world around me. Help me to see it like You see it. Renew me daily through my time in Your Word. Enable me to walk holding only Your Hand.

Amen

1 comment:

Poodle said...

You touched my heart in many different ways. Of course, I think Isaiah is beautiful, but your analogy is more beautiful. We learn so much about God's love and patience with us from watching a child. Thanksn for sharing.