Okay, so as you've probably figured out, after the first "full day" in Romania, things got BUSY! The camps each day were fun and exhausting, and dinners each night were an adventure. We had a few team meeting times late at night before we literally fell into bed. On Wednesday the praise and worship time with our Romanian brothers and sisters was so refreshing and uplifting...and beautiful. Our time in Bucharest...well, that's a subject for a later blog :)
While I traveled, I continued to read through the prophet Amos in scripture. I also borrowed Radical by David Platt. It's an eye opening book and interestingly enough, as I tried so hard to reconcile the poverty of these kids with the luxury of our hotel with the scripture in Amos with David Platt's thoughts on American extravagance...it was as if the Lord was challenging my heart with the same message from so many angles. Even as I sit here, I'm not quite sure how to put it into words yet. I guess scripture is the best explanation!
Amos 6: Woe to you who are complacent in Zion, and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria, you notable men of the foremost nation, to whom the people of Israel come!...
4 You lie on beds inlaid with ivory and lounge on your couches.
You dine on choice lambs and fattened calves.
5 You strum away on your harps like David and improvise on musical instruments.
6 You drink wine by the bowlful and use the finest lotions, but you do not grieve over the ruin of Joseph.
7 Therefore you will be among the first to go into exile; your feasting and lounging will end.
8 The Sovereign LORD has sworn by himself—the LORD God Almighty declares: "I abhor the pride of Jacob and detest his fortresses; I will deliver up the city and everything in it."Why did God say these things? Was it because he was against all luxury? NO. It was because while the people basked in luxury they purposely forgot and mistreated the poor. They became extremely comfortable and prideful and despised the poor and the needy, engaged in sinful acts and forgot God. Over and over again.
In his book, Radical, David Platt challenges American Christians to truly evaluate their lives and their relationship with the Lord in light of a Gospel message from Jesus Christ that is clear. I am still finishing this book but I am eager to comment on it in a later blog when I'm through.
In the mean time, I will share some of the pictures from our trip!
Iasi, Romania 2010
No comments:
Post a Comment