I love pizza. I love whole wheat. So today, in attempt to satisfy my hunger and use up my groceries, I set out to make my own homemade whole wheat pizza dough! At first, I was sad because all of the recipes I found called for yeast. So I sat for a second and thought, hmmm...what if I type in "Homemade whole wheat pizza dough without yeast" into the search engine... and low and behold...I just love modern technology. In an instant, there were multiple recipes at the click of my mouse. I pulled up this one.
| NO YEAST PIZZA DOUGH | |
2 1/2 c. flour 2 3/4 tsp. baking powder (if using baking soda use half and omit salt) 1 tsp. salt 1 tbsp. oil 3/4 to 1 c. water Mix dry ingredients. add 3/4 cup water and oil. Stir until it forms a ball. If dough is stiff, add more water. The dough will be soft, not sticky. Knead on a floured surface for 3-4 minutes. Bake at 400°F for 15-25 minutes. Submitted by: Terry H | |
And got to work. Sorry no pictures...my hands got a little messy :)
It worked! I liked the texture (texture freak that I am) but it was a little thicker than I was expecting. And not as flavorful. So maybe on my next try, I'll add the baking soda and no salt to see what that does...and maybe add some onion and garlic powder or some basil and oregano to the mix. I might even paint the crust with butter so that it gets nice and golden brown.
Fun!
1 comment:
so....what's with the aversion to yeast? :) It's a great thing and pretty simple as long as you're going to be home for a while! I've quit using rapid rise and gone back to regular yeast because I like the flavor bread has when it rises twice.
Post a Comment