Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Display of His Splendor





I couldn't help my mind racing back to my 2001 Belize summer mission trip where, at the time, they placed you in the 6-seater airplane according to your body weight. You? 125? You sit here... Then they removed the large weight hanging from the tail of the plane as the propellers began to spin...
I can say I've only been in a plane smaller than that twice. And one of those times was just the other weekend. My roommate's step dad is a pilot and has a little 4-seater plane. Before dinner that night, we took off from Brewton municipal airport and flew an hour to the coast. Captain Smith calmed my nerves by giving us safety instructions like, "If we had to, I could land on that bridge down there..." and "Decatur, if we have to crash-land, right before we hit the ground, throw open that door so it doesn't jam...I had an engine go out on me last week in another plane, so I'm more safety conscious of late."
Such reassurance to know we'd covered the basics???!!! ha.


The flight was happily flawless and became relaxing after a lenghthy prayer and texting with my brother so at least someone in my family would know I died in a good mood. No, really, It was truly breathtaking to fly along Pensacola beach at 15oo feet and witness the sun set and the moon appear. I had wanted to go to the beach that weekend...funny that I actually got to go.
Enjoying creation from a new and different perspective is such a privilege. To behold the beautiful, vividly red ball of sun casting incredible light on the clouded horizon in colors that demand your attention as they are constantly changing until at last they are gone, and to turn your head and realize the moon has appeared as bright as ever from seemingly no where, all while you are being suspended and pushed along in a tiny little box of metal with wings that requires complete faith in gravity, physics, and Mr. Smith...is a splendid reminder of how small we are, how BIG God is and how glorious are His ways.







"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His Hands" Psalm 91:1


1 comment:

Ashley Matteo said...

great post(as all of yours are). so glad you had a nice trip to the beach and what a spectacular sunset. just wanted to remind you that you also flew in a tiny airplane about 7 years ago with keith, dan, and i over to pell city touch and go. wow how time has FLOWN.