So, there has been a theme in the past week that the Lord keeps sending my way as I read the Bible (Colossians), as I lift up my requests in prayer to the Lord, as I talk with my friends and as we encourage each other in our singleness. It is this: Colossians 2:10 and a commentary to follow:
"And you are complete in Christ" - 'It is a wonderful thing to be made whole and full. This means we can stop searching for identity and self-worth in the elemental and base philosophies of the world. Our future is sure in Christ because no longer are we incomplete creatures, helpless in face of an unseen destiny. Jesus Christ is the head over every power and authority, and He is more powerful than sorrow, gloom, fear, insecurity, and the need for approval.' ~Marie Chapian, Women's Devotional Bible, NIV.
We are filled.
We are complete in Him.
There are many instances lately where I do not feel filled. I care about my job and I am very thankful for it. But it does not fill me. I am thankful for my church family, but am not as connected as I have been in the past in others I've been a part of. I have close friends, but I do not have "the friend that sticks closer than a brother" currently. And lastly, often, I do not feel complete, as I am single and I am not currently dating anyone. That last line is code for: I get lonely.
As I meet with my friends to talk, quite a few have the same type of assessment of their own lives. And at times, thankfully different times, we can each get distracted or even discouraged by our longing for...something more. For a change.
But the Lord is teaching me this week, especially, that it's in those times, Scripture speaks loudly to those who are in Christ. We ARE complete. We are filled with the Holy Spirit. We have everything we need for life and godliness. We are deeply loved. We are fully known. He walks beside us, dwells within us, carries us, gives us wisdom, lights our path, lightens our load, shoulders our burdens, gives life to our mortal bodies, and takes our place in death. (I have the scripture references for all of these..if you'd like)
What more could we possibly need?
It is a deep comfort, a great joy and pleasant peace to know Him. And to be known by Him.
I have had some sweet and comforting encouragement by my friends these past two days. I have also been exposed to this verse a few different times this week: Zephaniah 3:17. "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."
I love it when God repeats a verse to me through random, seemingly unrelated situations. He knows what I need and He always provides.
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds...Encourage one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near..." Heb. 10:23-25
Quieted by His love and faithfulness,
K
1 comment:
Amen and Amen. Im sure we all feel alone or incomplete regardless of our stage of life but you have always been so encouraging and insightful about life(especially when it may not make since), so thanks. also, the verse in zeph 3:17 is such an amazing verse is it not? the even cooler thing that i just recenlty learned during my study of the minor prophets is that Zephaniah said this to God's people,not in times of celebration and joy, but during the time of attack by the babylonians who conquered Jerusalem in 586 BC. so yes the verse is encouraging, but even more encouraging to know these things about God when your going trhough a hard time. Yes you are single and yes that can definitley stink, but be encouraged that He is mighty to save, He will take great delight in you(the one and only all powerful GOD takes great delight in YOU!), He will quiet you with HIS love.... and on and on.
Post a Comment