Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snow Holiday



I woke up this morning almost like a kid at Christmas. Weather reports for the past few days reported possible snow for today. My first thought after checking the clock at 7am was, "I wonder if it's SNOWING!" With that thought, I jumped out of bed and hurried to the window...I even had to stop for a second because I got dizzy! Sure enough, I was elated to find not only a blanket of white, but quite a bit of snow actually falling! You see, here in Alabama, it's a rarity. It only snowed for two mornings last year and none the year before. So I really do equate it with a holiday. It may only happen once this year.

Since I was already awake, I felt it perfectly fitting for a snowy day to make some hot coffee, open the blinds of my large apartment window, and curl up on the couch with my bible. I felt led to read Psalm 19 for the very reason that weather is one of the most awesome displays of God's power: "The heavens declare the glory of God and the skies declares the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech and night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world..."

On first attempt to leave for church, I had to clear three inches of snow from all my windows, the hood, and headlights of my car. Unfortunately, my hands were frozen and burning rather quickly. As I sat in my car and the snow fell hard, I reconsidered the safety of my endeavor (the south is NOT prepared for snow and Bham is particularly hilly)...I chickened out and went back inside.

And hour later, I was getting a little stir crazy. So with a quick prayer and some gloves, I made my second attempt. It was such a beautiful, peaceful drive. And when I got to church, there was a small but intimate crowd. The Associate Pastor led in greetiing the congregation with a word that made my entire trip worth it, which was followed by a song that poured grace over my heart. He said in paraphrase, 'I believe the storm outside is a parallel to what we are doing in here. The snow is a perfect picture of the righteousness of Jesus Christ in our lives; the beautiful and pure whiteness has blanketed the landscape, covering over everything (even the dirt) underneath, and it is breathtaking.'

Afterwards, Abba and Jason sang this song. The words are so true of my past week, and of my life in general. I'm reading an incredible book right now called Disappointment with God by Phillip Yancey. More on that to follow. Enjoy:

You Are Still Holy By Kim Hill

Holy, You are still holy
Even when the darkness surrounds my life
Sovereign, You are still sovereign
Even when confusion has blinded my eyes

Lord, I don't deserve Your kind affection
When my unbelief has kept me from Your touch
I want my life to be a pure reflection
Of Your love

And so I come into Your chamber
And I dance at Your feet, Lord
You are my Saviour
And I'm at Your mercy
All that has been in my life
Up 'til now
It belongs to You
You are still holy

Holy, You are still holy
Even though I don't understand Your ways
Sovereign, You will be sovereign
Even when my circumstances don't change

Lord, I don't deserve your tender patience
When my unbelief has kept me from Your truth
I want my life to be a sweet devotion
To You

And so I come into Your chamber
And I dance at Your feet, Lord
You are my Saviour
And I'm at Your mercy
All that has been in my life
Up 'til now
It belongs to You
I belong to You

And so I come into Your chamber
And I dance at Your feet
You are my Saviour
And I'm at Your mercy
All that has been in my life
Up 'til now
It belongs to You
I belong to You
You are still holy
You are still sovereign
You are still holy, Lord
You are still righteous
You are all-knowing
You are still holy

1 comment:

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Yay for snow days in the South! Anything that rare is definitely like a holiday!